Sunspel Menswear Ltd

Thread: Your Poker Face

Your Poker Face

In the film Ocean’s Eleven, Rusty asks his novice poker players, “Guys, what’s the first lesson in poker?” Answer: Leave emotion at the door. It’s easy to make mistakes when your decisions are based on emotion. A novice player, having been dealt a series of boring, lifeless combinations, might grow impatient and start throwing chips away on bad cards just to get in the game. A few losing hands might cause a player to grow overly cautious and miss out on some good opportunities. And even a player on a lucky streak might get overly confident and start chasing too many long shots. A mature poker player acts on set rules and principles, not emotions.

PATIENCE
    A good poker player is patient. Remember, winning isn’t a 50/50 proposition, and to win a round of poker, you have to out-match every other player at the table. Depending on how many players are facing you, those could be some tough odds. Yes, folding can get boring, but patiently waiting for the perfect time to strike is the way to stay consistent, and the way to win. As we said, choose your battles carefully, and don’t go for the long shots.

COURAGE
    When you do get that perfect hand, go after it. Balance is key here; don’t become so patient that you grow fearful when the time comes to make a move. When you find yourself in a strong position, be confident. Making bets will apply pressure to the other players. When the time comes, let them know you’re not here to watch, you’re here to play.

So always remember the things to consider with every move: And am I in a good position or a bad position? How are my opponents playing? What are some of the hands my opponents are likely to hold? What do my opponents think that I have? These are the things to think about before you bet, raise, check, or fold.

Anyone have any good tips or strategies to share?

http://www.amazon.com/Caros-Book-Pok.../dp/1580420826

My best suggestion is this book. Great read on how to "read" other people. Learned so much from it. A must for any serious poker player.

Excellent book Dux!